Saturday, June 20, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

But not so fast!

On Wednesday, Olivia, Jack, Gigi and I began our trek west! I was definitely a little nervous flying with Jack for the first time. Not to mention it had been 2 years since I myself had flown. And all of this without Denny!

Our trip started out so easy! We checked our bags, rearranged our seats at the ticket counter, and made it through security without any problems, or even a wait for that matter!

We got in and headed to a restaurant for lunch, and some pre-flight liquid courage!

Jack is ready!
Liv and Gigi at the Cowtown Cafe!

After lunch, we walked up to our gate just as they were beginning to board. We literally walked up, and boarded!
However, once we got on the plane it got a little hairy. Just getting situated was a process in and of itself. I will spare you the boring details, but finally we got a very kind lady to trade seats with me so that Jack and I could sit on the same row as Gigi and Liv.
Once we were all settled the nice pilot came on and told us there would be a delay for a mechanical malfunction. Fabulous! Needless to say 20 minutes turned into 2 HOURS! Yes, we were stuck in a tiny tube with 2 young kids for 2 hours before even leaving the gate for a 3 hour flight!
Thankfully we had an arsenal of activities for the kids... and Gigi! Olivia kept busy going through things in her backpack.


And Jack kept busy playing with Gigi!

And thankfully taking a nap! Gigi was the baby whisperer and amazingly got him to sleep. I don't know how many times she had to sing, then hum, "You Are My Sunshine".

Of course with the delay, his nap was over before we ever got off the ground. Thank goodness for the Sky Mall catalog.


The poor flight attendants who had to clean up his scraps! But I'm sure they would rather do that then listen to him scream!
I have to say, despite the horribly long delay, the kids did amazing!!! I don't think Jack cried once and Olivia was pretty good at keeping the "How long until we're there?" questions at bay! I was so happy, even happier once we got off the plane in LA!
I have many more pics of our wonderful trip to come!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it - OMG Jack's thighs! He is such a pinchable cutie!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness, Shelley! I can't believe you were on that plane so long! I am glad ya'll made it, and it sounds like the kids were troopers!!! Miss you!