Friday, October 3, 2008

A Day at the Fair

Yesterday was a day Olivia had been looking forward to since we left the State Fair last year! Seriously, this girl loves the fair! She talked about it all year and constantly asked when we could go again (not understanding it's only here 3 weeks out of the year), and if I would be able to ride rides with her again because when we went to Sea World this summer I couldn't since I was preggers! The teacups are our special ride... lucky me! Anyway, off we headed, thinking it would be a nice cool day in the mid 80's. We were wrong! And let me mention that we also had Jack with us! Beware, this post will be long, but I just want you to get the full story! ;)

We got to the fair around 11:00 and walked right through the midway only to notice that none of the rides were going and none of the games were open. Strange considering the fair had actually opened at 10:00. Anywho, I was craving a Belgian waffle, so off we went to the complete other side of the fair grounds to the International Way or something like that.... On our way, we stopped for a photo op at Big Tex. We just had to get a pic of him in his new clothing! With as hot as it is he should seriously consider a tank top and some cutoffs!

So after I got my fill of Belgian waffles, we headed back to where we had originally started to see if the rides were running. Of course... they were not. We found out they do not open until noon, FYI. Olivia said she wanted lunch, so back we went to the food! After just stuffing my face with a huge Belgian waffle with powdered sugar, strawberries and whipped cream, I opted for a Fletchers corny dog and french fries! Very healthy... and at this point I am already regretting my decision to leave the Tums at home!!!! Olivia loved her corny dog as much as we did and ate the whole thing! While Olivia and I finished up our corny dog, Denny went off to get some french fries. I was turned around helping Olivia with her dog and drink, and when I turned back around to check on Jack, who was peacefully snoozing, I saw one of the State Fair's best bent over my sweet baby staring at him. I was a little taken aback considering I had not even heard her come up, much less breathing in Jack's face. She decided to stay for awhile and just stare, but eventually went off with her broom and dust pan and went back to work. It was so strange! But I guess that's par for the course at the fair! At least she did not awake him and we were able to eat in peace!
When we first walked up to eat I was looking down the aisle to make sure they had "Fletchers" corny dogs there (did I mention my main reason for going to the fair is to eat!?) and noticed these 3 stands all in a row. Some of you may not get the significance, so I'll explain.... Obviously "Jack's" Mexican Food makes sense, then there was "Ruth's" Tamale House (Ruth is my Mimi's name), and finally "Smokey John's BBQ" (my dad's name)! Our family was well represented! I thought it was so funny I just had to snap a pic! Maybe next year I can hope for a "Shelley's Sausage on a Stick" and we'll have 4 generations of the Gray family truly represented!
Finally we were off to the rides! Olivia could hardly contain her excitement! We do an annual picture in front of the Big Tex growth chart as I call it to see how big she is! She measured in at 43" this year!!!
Her first ride to my surprise was the mini Log Flume. I was worried she would be scared, but she wasn't! She rode most rides by herself, except for the Dragon roller coaster, (which I couldn't imagine her riding alone, I was a little afraid on that one!), the Tugboat, and the Teacups of course!
Our little pirate!
And race car driver
And finally pilot! Like I said, she really had a blast riding all the rides.
About 10 rides later we decided it was time to hike back to the other side of the fair grounds yet again to enjoy some AC! Little Jack had become quite sweaty while his big sister was whirling around on the rides and it was time for him to eat. On our way to the car show I got out our handy new Grab N Go Bottle Warmer to heat up his meal! I took it out, snapped the tab like it said.... and nothing! I snapped that darn tab a hundred times and it would not heat up! It had worked just fine the night before, but was not going to work for anything in our time of need. So, Denny, being the handy guy he is, takes over and still nothing. And now it seems as though he has broken the darn thing altogether! So I am stressing just imagining one of us sitting in a State Fair restroom holding his bottle under hot water for 20 minutes! If you know me at all, you know I am a pretty big germaphobe and was not liking our dilema! Thankfully, when Denny handed it back to me and I was trying to snap it back and forth it mysterioulsy started working! Praise the Lord! No one was happier than Jack though! :)
Finally we made it to the car show and could relax a little!
Denny has it engrained in Liv's head that her first car will be a Jeep. I think he is forgetting this will be her car and not his! So we always have to get a picture of Liv in the Jeep! I am just realizing we have a lot of picture traditions at the fair! Scary!
Shortly after this picture we all broke down! We had been there for four hours and Olivia was tired, I was tired (and cranky), Denny just wanted a beer, and poor Jack had been in the same diaper for 5 hours! Don't worry, it was just wet! So we decided to trek across the fair one last time and head to the car to go home! I have to say, I can't remember the last time I got so much exercise! Sad I know!!!! And when we got to the car it said it was 83 degrees outside. There is just no way it was only 83 degrees! It really felt more like 95 with 95% humidity!
I wish I could say I had a great time, I think it will be one of those memories that will get better the more time that passes! :) But, Olivia and Denny had a great time, and really, I just love the fair, heat and strange people included! Next year we'll just be sure to go the last week of the fair and just maybe it will be a little cooler! And we'll park at a better location... and now we know the rides don't open until noon!







1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Looks like you all had fun, despite the heat and weirdos! :P