Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oh Brother!!!

After we found out we were going to have a boy, we really dreaded telling Olivia. She has really had her heart set on a "stister"! Anytime I would even mention that it might be a boy, she would adamantly tell me, "No mommy, just a girl!" She would not even think about having a brother!!!!

While we were at our appointment, she had been playing at a friend's house. So we went by and picked her up, and on our way home we wanted to stop by Target to get a few things we needed. I thought it might be a good opportunity to let her shop for her new brother. I thought shopping might be theraputic for her, as it is for all women! :) So, we're on our way there and Denny and I are discussing how and when we should tell her and he's like, "I'll just tell her now". I really thought I might do a better job at breaking the news, but he went ahead and just turned around in his seat and said, "Hey Olivia, we went to the doctor today and found out if the baby was a boy or a girl." To which she excitedly responded, "What is it daddy a girl?!" He then proceeded to tell her it was a baby boy. Instant tears from Olivia, and this, "No daddy, I just want a stister!". It was seriously so sad!!! So I immediately chimed in with all the pluses of having a brother versus a sister. You'll be the only princess in the house, and you and mommy can do just girl things. And you won't have to share all your girly toys with your brother! (I know, not the best tactic for a 3 yr. old, but hey, I was desparate!!!) And finally, I told her I would need her help picking out some boy clothes because boys can't wear girl clothes, so he'll need all new clothes!!!! Finally she settled down and we headed into Target with a toddler on a mission. Below are some of the items she picked out! Once she got started, she didn't want to stop! She wanted to get shoes, socks, bibs, toys, you name it!!! So we let her pick out a few things and then had to cut her off! I will say that the outfit is probably not one I would have chosen, but that is not important! :) She had fun and it did help get her excited for a boy! I do love the shoes, those are just too cute!

In the days that have followed she will occasionally refer to the baby as a her, and I will correct her. She always asks, why is it a boy mommy? So, on Sunday she asked this very question. I told her that God gave us a boy because that is what he wanted us to have to complete our family. Just like when we had her, he wanted us to have a girl. Her response was this, word for word, "Um, next time mommy, we can have a girl..., when we get rid of the boy!" I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe! Then I gently told her that we would not be getting "rid" of her little brother! We will love him just as much as we love her! So now she thinks it's funny to say that we're going to get rid of the baby boy because she knows how it made me laugh the first time. She is too funny!

4 comments:

Summer said...

Okay that is such a great story. Olivia is so funny! I loved the little goods she picked out for her brother.

Anonymous said...

What a great story . . . write it in her baby book (and Jack's too). It is priceless!! Love the shoes Liv chose. They are very "retro".

Sonia Graney said...

Okay, that anonymous comment was from me! I am truly technilogically challenged (and that is the department I work in). This school district is in trouble!!

Rebecca said...

Hilarious!!

I do love the shoes! :D